[BO – Unrefined] The 3-gate Sentry Expand
This is my standard opening in PvZ matchups. While I have used it extensively, I didn’t use it nearly enough to call it refined.
The mindstate here is to be able to ward off any zerglings away from being able to put any pressure. It is very safe and *very* defensive. You get two zealots and around 6 sentries. As soon as warpgate research is complete, you warp in a round of units and expand. For scouting, you will use hallucinations (you can research hallucination tech as soon as you expand and if you have enough for it).
To survive, you will have some cannons at your expansion. Remember: The ramp is a no-zerg zone. In theory, they’d have to go all around the nexus in order to go through the ramp, as you would have sim-citied the ramp with cannons, a forge and a gateway.
The 3rd base should be taken about 11/12mn into the game, unless massive shenanigans occur (roach-ling all-in anyone?).
I’ve been practicing it as of late. This is in no way a first-time occurence.
Early-game notes (*: taken under consideration starting Practice Session #7):
- You need your sentries at the ready when you get out of your base. Also, make sure you put either your 2nd geyser or your Zealot down at the 18-food mark, depending on what you scout. (FE = gas, Pool = zealot)
- Make your two other gateways so that they finish at the same time as Warpgate-tech.
- Start researching Hallucination after Warpgate-tech is done.
- You’ll find yourself with 1 zealot and 8 sentries at some point. From that point on, make stalkers. *
- As the expansion is down, you need a pylon at your ramp so that you can sim-city a wall. (read above) *
- You will rely heavily on forcefields and cannons to survive in the early game.
- Scouting is done through hallucinations. Since you have a decent pack of sentries, you won’t be lacking forcefields any time soon.
Midgame notes (more will be added):
- You need to put an expansion down at the 11-12mn mark, unless you scout an all-in (on that case, get ready to defend it).
- Until then, you will be on two geysers (you make stalkers, remember). Once the third is down, you will put your 3rd geyser at the farthest spot in your expansion.
- Robotics facility should be down by then, whether you intend to push out or not, since you will need detection against burrowed units. If you choose, you could always use it to make the most hated glass cannon in the game: The Colossus.
My progress so far (ranked by order of practice session) – Snapshot @ 10mn mark:
- 88/92 – 44 probes, 7 zealots, 9 sentries, 2 stalkers.
- 79/92 – 41 probes, 5 zealots, 8 sentries, 4 stalkers, 1 observer almost done.
- 87/92 – 44 probes, 8 zealots, 8 sentries, 4 stalkers, 1 observer, +1 attack upgrade at 3/4 done, 1 cannon.
- 83/92 – 44 probes, 8 zealots, 8 sentries, 3 stalkers, 1 observer, Robotics bay barely started.
- 83/92 – 44 probes, 7 zealots, 9 sentries, 3 stalkers, 1 observer.
- 97/100 – 47 probes, 11 zealots, 9 sentries, 3 stalkers
- 79/92 – 44 probes, 1 zealot, 9 sentries, 7 stalkers, 2 cannons, +1 attack half-done
- 82/92 – 44 probes, 1 zealot, 10 sentries, 7 stalkers, 2 cannons, +1 attack half-done
- 82/84 – 40 probes, 1 zealot, 9 sentries, 9 stalkers, 2 cannons still morphing. (I forgot something as dumb as Maynarding my probes)