Category Archives: PvT
Me as a Protoss player facing Terrans.
Yesterday, Shannn (the one guy who keeps spamming me ingame to GO LADDER 😀 – and my coach) told me to go 2gate-robo. The thing is, I never really played against Terran and never really practiced that opener so I ended up doing whatever. Then, I was a bit frustrated. We still started refining the BO while exposing what purposes it had.
Basically, you want an observer to be able to scout your opponent and react accordingly. You will be able to see all-ins before they even reach your base or decide to cancel your expansion if you see an incoming push and are in need of minerals to warp in more units. That, and marauders sure like Immortals…
After practicing alone, I noticed that not going for the nexus after observer was stupid. I don’t care if I have to cancel it but floating on minerals that early is a no-no. Still, if you can afford it, make more probes and one more gateway to stay on the safe side of it all.
So far, I’ll put notes down on stuff to solve. If this list is empty, I’ll go on the midgame transition refinement. With this build, the midgame transition is made as soon as you scout.
- A probe has to scout the sector appropriately depending on what map it is.
- Pylon at 22 is far better than pylon at 23-24. You can afford it that soon. By the time you reach 26, the pylon will be warped in.
- Right after the observer is made, expand regardless.
- Look at what your observer sees. Scout for tech and expansion. If you see shady tactics in the making, cancel the expansion and get ready to warp in more units. Pay attention to supply.
- At first, you will put 2 probes on gas. Until your cybernetics core is somewhere near 1/3 completion (then you put the 3rd).
- As the core finishes, you make a Stalker and warpgate research (barely enough gas for both). Add the 2nd geyser ASAP.
- Spend your excess minerals in the form of a 2nd gateway, until you have enough gas to get a robo. If you have enough for both the robo and the gateway, it means that you should’ve put the gateway earlier.
- Keep on warping in units and pay attention to supply. Normally, you should put down a pylon AND the nexus at very close timings.
- Sentries needed. You’ll need every ounce of gas you can afford, especially if there’s an incoming all-in. If all-in, cancel the nexus (unless it’s a terribly bad all-in) and warp in a third gateway.
- Upon expanding, pay attention to your supply. It’s not because you didn’t make pylons for a while that you’ll never make them again. Pay attention especially around the 62 and 75 marks.
- You are the reactionary. Everything is built on that. Big Brother watches over Terran.
- If you see banshees, you can opt for phoenixes. Make a 2nd observer on that case.
- If you see bio, tech up to templars or colossi. Make sure to scout him as he could always make ghosts!
- If you see loads of marauders, do note that they can’t shoot air. Use it to your advantage while it’s possible.
My progress so far (ranked by order of practice session) – Snapshot @ 10mn mark:
- 71/76 – 37 probes, 2 observers, 7 zealots, 6 stalkers, 2 sentries
- 78/84 – 42 probes, 2 observers, 5 zealots, 5 stalkers, 4 sentries, 1 immortal being produced
- 75/76 – 43 probes, 2 observers, 6 zealots, 6 stalkers, 2 sentries, 1 immortal, 1 colossus that would be produced once a pylon is made…
- 75/76 – 39 probes, 2 observers, 7 zealots, 3 stalkers, 1 sentry, 1 immortal, 1 colossus at 3/4 done
- 84/84 – 46 probes, 2 observers, 7 zealots, 6 stalkers, 2 sentries, 1 colossus at 1/2 done.
- 80/84 – 46 probes, 1 observer, 5 zealots, 5 stalkers, 5 sentries, 1 immortal nearly done. Deceased: 1 observer and 1 probe.
- 84/84 – 42 probes, 5 zealots, 8 stalkers, 3 sentries, 1 immortal, 1 colossus barely started. Deceased: 1 observer and 1 probe.
- 87/92 – 41 probes, 8 zealots, 4 stalkers, 6 sentries, 1 colossus very close to be done. Deceased: 1 observer and 1 probe. In the making: About 4 chronoed out probes and more pylons.